Saturday, May 27, 2006

Noise Curfew?

So, many of you are familiar with the city of Abbotsford, BC where they have a supposed noise curfew at 10pm. And if the city doesn't, then we certainly did at CBC (where I used to work). In the dorms it was quiet after 10pm (yeah right!). Well, here in the beautiful city of Guadalajara, Mexico I really don't think they've ever heard of something so silly as "noise curfew".

Most nights it's simply cars zipping by (I live on the corner of 2 fairly busy streets), windows open, Mexican music blaring (I'm becoming quite familiar with the popular songs). One night someone in our building (we think) was hosting a karaoke party till all hours. And last night...last night was special! The restaurant "La Tequila" just up the street had their grand opening! There were throngs of people, and everything here is valet parking (even at some coffee shops)...so there were issues with setting off car alarms as well. And then, of course no "fiesta" is a true "fiesta" without...Mariachi! They had an 8-10 person band out in front of the restaurant going till all hours. As I lay in my bed, trying to fall asleep, I think they were just warming up:) But, it's a part of the culture here, and I love it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Paula Reyes said...

jjjejjejejejejje

Welcome to latin america!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger melissaplett said...

no THAT. IS. AWESOME!!!!! I love it! Man does that sound like a fun / FUNNY time. You should have gone and check it out. Both the kareokee party and thing up the street. You KNOW you would have been welcomed!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ola amiga!!!

Oh you are having such an adventure! Just as my adventure is ending, yours is beginning! can't wait to hear more stories and see pictures!! take care!!!! ciao!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

when Souled Out was on tour and playing in tiny Edson, Alberta, we played at a mennonite church who's pastor had recently moved to Alberta from Mexico. I think his name was Raoul. Anyway, the point of this little story is that he kept trying to convince me to convert Souled Out into a Mariachi band.

He also wants his church to build a Tim Horton's on the church property where there will be a special till just for pastor's so he doesn't have to wait in line.

Funny guy, that Raoul.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home