Sunday, June 04, 2006

Around Town

In the last couple of weeks we have been going around the city, trying to get to know it better. We want to learn the history, culture and what people are up to here in the big city of Guadalajara! So, a couple of weeks ago we played "tourist" and took the double-decker bus tour (which I also took last year when I was here).

I am continually amazed at how many Catholic churches there are in this city! While they are aesthetically beautiful buildings, they are also a reminder of the grip that "tradition" and "religion" have over the people here.


While driving around GDL I am never bored! They love their art and statues...and I enjoy seeing them everywhere I go. Here are a couple of examples.

This is Minerva, and she is at the center of a major "glorieta", which is a "round-about". This is one of my favorites...there's just something so powerful and magnificent about her.

And to the right is another statue at another round-point. Although I can't remember the story behind it, it really struck me how much history there is here in Mexico. As I've spoken with Mexicans about their history, they admit that it's not that interesting to them. This shocked me as I've been soaking it all up. Until I realized, that my own Canadian history has become mundane to me...maybe because I grew up learning about it so much in school that I now take it for granted.

And here's a new friend I made down-town, in the city-center. The other day Jen and I went touring about getting to know the bus and train systems in the city. This is part of a plan to invent our own version of "Amazing Race" for the teams that are coming this summer.

This is one of several unique benches and chairs in front of a cultural center, which used to be a shelter for the poor and needy.

And last night Jen and I met a new friend. Her name is Yahaira, and she was a friend of Ilone (young missionary who was here before us). We really enjoyed meeting her for coffee and getting to know her. Since Starbucks closed at 11pm, Yahaira suggested we go walking. This was one of my favorite evenings since getting here. GDL has a very active night-life, and it was fun walking and just watching people. We went to a street called Chapultepec, where on Saturday nights they have "tiangis" (little market booths selling art, jewellery, etc.) until 2am. Since it had been raining, many of them had closed down. But I loved the atmosphere and I look forward to going again!

3 Comments:

Blogger melissaplett said...

And I look forward to ME going again... I mean, you'd be the one that was going again, I'd be the first to, um.. cause.. you know what i mean.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Paula Reyes said...

I wanna go!!!!

se ve muy bonito GDL.

me alegra que estes disfrutando de tu tiempo alla.

Te quiero mucho

10:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Sandra, I love these pictures. Hope you are having a good day!

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home