Mamma Mia!

For those of you who don't know...I LOVE musicals! In addition, I do enjoy a good song by ABBA now and then! That being said...it's been my wish to see the musical "Mamma Mia" for the last few years. When it came to Vancouver, the tickets were sold out before I had the opportunity to see it. And when it came to Winnipeg, my Mom, sister and I couldn't find a night that worked for all of us, and by the time we tried...tickets were sold out!!
So, when I heard that it was coming to GDL, Jen and I rushed out to buy tickets! We went to see the show last night, and it was so great! Not necessarily a dramatic classic like "Les Mis" or "Phantom", but very, very fun nevertheless!!
Due to ticket prices, we ended up buying the cheapest seats, but in the best location possible. We showed up quite early, to make sure we found our way to the theatre, and to find parking. And the experience from there was quite "cultural". They seem to love line-ups here! So, we waited in line until 15 minutes before the show started, and then they let us in in a particular order. What that order was is still a bit confusing to me!
As the ushers led us in, they pointed for us to follow the line of people ahead of us into a random row. Feeling a little like a sheep being herded blindly into a spot that was clearly different than what my ticket said, I was a little annoyed, remembering how much work I'd gone to in order to pick the best spot in the "cheap area". That is, until the man beside us explained that there were a lot of empty seats this night, so they had led us all onto the 1st balcony, rather than the 2nd one! Well, being the "frugal, Mennonite" girl that I am, I was quite excited about our bit of luck!
When the show started, and the first "joke" was made on stage...I was shocked when the audience burst out laughing! I guess I shouldn't have been, but it was nice to feel like the audience knew what was going on, regardless of the language barrier. As the show progressed, Jen and I did find ourselves laughing hysterically a few times when the audience was completely silent. Which just made me laugh harder!
It was a great evening, and a wonderful show! And I enjoyed the cultural experience thrown in as well!

3 Comments:
Sandra, this isn't a pity comment - it's a comment because I just wanted to. Mamma Mia was amazing! I'll just add my note to say that Sandra sang along the entire way through, even though i don't think she realized it! I love musicals and live theatre and I am so thankful that we could go to that together. Thanks for putting up with me - for your patience and faithful friendship!
There was something in the air that night, the stars so bright, Fernando!
baaa baaa - oh cute little sheepy!
Post a Comment
<< Home