Even Though We Lost!

For those of you who aren't following the World Cup, Mexico played against Argentina on Saturday for a place in the top 8. It was a very important game! So, Jen and I decided to get into the spirit of things...
We put on our green shirts (Mexico's color), I bought a Mexican flag, and we made a "friend" who painted our faces with the colors of the Mexican flag.
We walked just up the street from our place, to a major intersection, where they had a huge screen showing the game for all to see. For any of you who have travelled to Latin America, you KNOW what a big deal "futbol" is...so you can imagine how high the emotions were running! So, we joined the throngs of people to watch the game. Here are some pictures...

This is the big screen, set up at the "Minerva Glorieta"...which is one of the large "round-abouts" near our place. An ideal location for about 1000 people to come out and watch the game.

Here's a view of the crowd cheering on the Mexican "Seleccion"!

And here I tried to get a picture of the "Riot Police" who were out in full force to make sure that the fans didn't get out of hand! And as the crowd kept growing and extending out into the street, they also protected me from traffic!

Our team played really well, scoring the first goal! Very exciting! By the end of game time, we were tied 1-1. So, we went into overtime. The fans were very stressed, and very excited at the same time. In overtime, Argentina scored another goal...and we just weren't able to beat that. So, this is Jen and I after the game...sunburnt, hot and tired...but happy because, even though our team lost, they played well!!

5 Comments:
Now, I am truly jelous. I've already been fighting jelousy from you watching a live game in columbia. On a happier coincidence, that is exactly what I was doing tonight when you called. Not watching, but playing soccer, we do it every monday. I think it will make a great story, and I'll have to elaborate on my blog.......
me alegra mucho que hayas tenido una experiencia como estas, extra;o ver futbol en latino america, con un multitud alrededor gozandose del partido, latima que perdieron, pero pues hicieron un buen trabajo.
Sandra...I am disappointed...you cannot be happy even though your team lost just because they played well...where's the competitive edge...you need to be throwing chairs and ripping the curtains because they lost...tsk tsk,
anyways in other news I hope you are well,
looks familiar, I was in Paris the night France beat Spain... yikes, there were no riot police in place, but it would have been a good idea! Amazing to exeperience though, as I'm sure you can agree.
I"m not jealous like our brother Anthony. Wanna know why?? Well, b/c, um, although it all sounds good... ok no. I wish I was there too. Dang it!
Post a Comment
<< Home