WARNING: Long Post Ahead (with lots of pictures)

Last weekend was action-packed as we headed downtown on Friday night to celebrate "Independence Day" with the masses. And I mean a LOT of people! It's called "El Grito", which means "the cry, or shout", and at 11:00pm the night before Independence Day, the president/governor/mayor/other important person of each city, town and pueblo comes out on the balcony of the government "palace" and makes a little speech, and rings the bell at exactly 11, shouting "Viva Mexico"!! The people all shout back, and it's pretty exciting to be a part of the patriotism. And then the fireworks begin!

And on Saturday I went to my first live "Futbol" game here in Mexico. I can't believe I've been here 6 months already and hadn't been yet! We were told that they might not allow cameras in...or that they might throw away my batteries, so I didn't risk bringing my camera. It was great to be in the crowds, and see up close and personal the passion that these people have for this game, and for their team. For over 2 hours the "hardcore section" of fans did not stop jumping up and down, chanting and singing, and taunting the other teams fans (I think I learned a few new Spanish cuss words!) I couldn't believe their energy...and the game wasn't even exciting! I can't imagine if either team had actually scored goals!
And on Monday I left on a trip to another State: Oaxaca. We have other MBMSI missionaries there that we wanted to meet and get to know their ministry a little. So, Trever, Dania (Joan's niece), me, Jen, and John and Isobelle Balzer all loaded up in the Godard van and headed out on a little roadtrip! Since I tend to get a bit carsick in the back of vans, I managed to ride "shotgun" most of the trip, which also made me "navigator" and "toll-payment-preparer" (there are a lot of tolls!)
So, our first day was really long, especially since we got lost in a city named Toluca (now a bad word in our vocabulary) and it took us 1 1/2 hours to get out of there! Here's a memory of Toluca...

Don't let that sign fool you! Although the train tracks were well marked, absolutely NOTHING else was...making my job as navigator extremely difficult! So, we didn't quite make it to Oaxaca City that day, mostly because there have been problems in Oaxaca for the last 4 months due to a teacher's strike. They barracade the roads around 8 pm, not really allowing anyone in or out of the city. So, we stayed in a little hotel, and made it there Tuesday morning.
Jen, Dania and myself stayed at the YWAM base where Robert (our other missionary) is very involved. It was interesting, and fun to see what goes on there. We sat in on a few sessions, got to know some of the participants a bit, and I felt like an RD again as one of the girls informed us immediately of her broken relationship with her ex-boyfriend, one of 8 members of her team. Awkward!!
Then Robert took us touring around. First we went to see the world's largest tree (according to volume).

He also made me try all kinds of tasters of "Mescal" (I think?). Apparently it's from the same plant as Tequila, and it's very common to that region of Mexico. Straight-up it's disgusting...like pure gas! But with some mocha flavoring...not bad!

Later that day we visited an old monastery that has been turned into a museum. I enjoy history and architecture, so I always love visiting places like this.

The next day we went downtown to check out the main market, do some shopping, and also get a view of the effect of the teachers strike. The teachers are all lined up on sidewalks under tarps, and getting paid full salaray while they strike. Hmmm...why would anyone want to go back to work? Here are a few pictures of their protests.
After the market we went to some nearby Pyramids. I am always fascinated with how ancient civilizations came up with some of these things!

Our time in Oaxaca was brief, but very good. It was kind of fun to feel like I could totally be a tourist (camera around the neck and all that!) But, it was also good to see how Robert and Anne are involved in ministry there, to experience a bit of a YWAM base, and to get a better overall picture of just how diverse the country of Mexico really is. I felt like my worldview was stretched, and even more passionate about reaching out to the Mexican people.
And then off to Mexico City (or D.F. as it's called)....a navigator's nightmare! Argued to be one of the world's largest 3 cities, our prayers were definitely with Trever as he got us through that maze!

And this is the subway system in Mexico City, where everyone packs in like sardines!! They actually have special cars just for women, so they can feel a little safer. Apparently it's not uncommon for men to take advantage of women being packed in there with them!!

And these are the taxis, which I absolutely love, that are so common to Mexico City! It's serious VW central down here!

And then we went to check out some REALLY impressive pyramids. These were huge, and the grounds are really extensive. I had a serious feeling of awe as we toured around, imagining the people who created that place, and lived there so many centuries ago. We climbed the pyramid called "Sun"...all 258 steps! Apparently the largest pyramid in Mexico.
And here are a few pictures from our drive. Just sights we saw along the way...from cactuses (or is that cacti?) to snow capped mountains, to....it was incredible!
Well, I think that should do it for now! Maybe I'll save something for my next post! I hope you all have a beautiful day!










10 Comments:
glad to see that you're back up and running...i was wondering what had happened!
Thanks for sharing the pics...looks great!
Man Sandra it looks like you've had a great time touring around Mexico. So many awesome sites. That shot of the fireworks and parlaiment buildings is amazing. I've definetly never gotten a shot of fireworks like that.
Thank you Anthony! I take that as a huge compliment coming from you!! I often find myself trying to see my pictures through your eyes before I post them, so thanks!
Hey San?! Did any boys "touch you" while on that bus? It's ok to talk about it. Don't be scared. We all understand that YOU'RE the victim and would never put yourself on that bus intentionally even though there are buses just for women...
You know me Meliss...love to live on the edge and be a little "risque"!! We were with a group, and we didn't want to separate!
i liked the post
Hey Sandra, just adding a comment because it's a great feeling to watch the comment count rise.
Hey Matt...which one are you? How you doing...what you up to?
Anth...thanks for all your support! I always knew you were there for you when I needed you:)
If only you all supported me like you do eachother!
I'm over 20 comments. Boo-ya
Post a Comment
<< Home