Rainy Season

We have had a few interesting experiences already! One time we had taken the North Carolina team out to pass out fliers in the neighborhood, when the heavens opened up and poured out all over us! The rains came complete with hail! Part of our group managed to get a cab back to the church, while the rest of the group was stuck out under an overhanging roof of a building...waiting for the rain to slow, and the water to clear enough for us to drive back and pick them up. Here are a few pictures...


So, three nights ago, Jen and I were trying to drive home from the church after a particularly heavy rainfall. The main roads get particularly bad, as man-hole covers fly open, rain comes spouting up...in one place it was shooting as high as a car! We've seen a car get stuck on top of a man-hole cover...not able to really move forward or backward.
Well, in our case, we got caught in an incredibly long traffic jam. We're still not sure what was going on up ahead (it seemed to be in one of the tunnels ahead of us), but the firemen were out there to help us out. We were on a main street (Lopez Mateos) where there are "feeder lanes", leading on and off the street, and running parallel to the street. Anyway, the firemen were leading us all onto the parallel street, but in typical Mexican fashion, it was really tricky! They were leading us all OFF Lopez via an entrance that was supposed to be leading ONTO Lopez. So, each car had to pull ahead, put the car in reverse, and allow the firemen to direct them backwards into the traffic coming at them on the parallel street.
And that's how we did it...one by one...water everywhere, horns honking, people getting out and walking! All part of the adventure that is life in Mexico!!

8 Comments:
Wow. I don't think I would have a whole lot of patience for that. I can only imagin that more times it happens, the less exciting it will be. Before you know it, you'll be cursing at the cops. I know you and your type.... it's obvious.
Aaah...you know me so well, don't you? Yah, it's still a novelty...but my patience were wearing a wee bit thin the other day already, since a 5 minute ride home turned into about 1/2 hour!!!
See, right there, if I had been in the car, you probably would have been yelling at me. Why? Because you would have got all tense, held the wheel with both hands (tightly), hunched over, staring straight, jaw clenched, music down, and I would have been talking talking talking... I can see it now. WOW would you have been annoyed! Hahahahaha
I don't yell!!! It's more of a "silent anger" kind of thing. And with all the talking, talking, talking...who can blame me? Just kidding! I promise to try and not get mad at you if you come and visit me:)
esto si que es lluvia!!!!! nunca me imagine que guadalajara fuera asi.
ESpero que sigan teniendo la paciencia jejejej
Yammer, Yammer, yammer, well nice to hear the two of you going at it.Patience, well all I have to say is, you do the driving Sandra,I'll sit by and watch.I'd sure love to know what Paula thinks.
Haha! You're cute mom! Paula says that THAT is real rain, and that she never imagined GDL would be like that. And that she hopes I will keep on having patience!
Ya it looks pretty wild, and I'm sure we'd all be angry at Melissa.
Post a Comment
<< Home