Sunday, June 10, 2007

Ode to Cheyla

Let me introduce you to Cheyla...she's a CBC student who spent the last 7 months with us here in GDL, doing her missions internship through the TREK program. She returned to Canada 1 1/2 weeks ago, and as I was looking through some of my pictures I was remembering some of the very fun times we had together, so I thought I'd dedicate this post to her.

I had the joy and the honor of mentoring Cheyla during her time here. We met almost every week on Tuesday evening, and most often went to Starbucks for our meeting. I know, it's a rough life!

Some of our meetings went a slightly different direction. For a couple of months there was something in GDL called "The Cow Parade". For those of you from Manitoba, it's similar to what they did with Polar Bears in Wpg a couple of years ago. People painted and decorated these cow statues and they were put up all over the city. There's a street near my place that was lined with all these cows...so Cheyla and I went for a photo shoot (and entertained everyone during rush-hour traffic!!! )


Ballerina Cow

Angry Cow
Sexy Punk Cow

Bath-time Cow
Smoking hot Cow...that's what this one is!!





Okay, and my next favorite memory has to do with facemasks. You know those little blue cloth masks that doctors wear over their mouths? Well, Cheyla happened to get her hands on one from a hospital visit, and fairly regularly one might see people wandering around the city wearing them. This has to do with the amount of pollution-related asthma attacks. Yech! Anyway, the idea was to take a bunch of pictures of Cheyla around town, doing regular activities with her facemask on. It was super funny to us...like crying our eyes out funny...but probably not so funny to others. Here are a few of the pictures:



Cheyla and Kenia at the ice-skating rink.

Dance Party in our Apartment.


Just doing a little shopping at a local market!





That's me...Pollution Cow!




If you look closely you'll see that the man behind Cheyla is wearing a facemask AND a fanny pack...and he's doing some warm-up excercises for a run through this park. So glad I got this on film!


I'm going to miss Cheyla a tonne! Thanks for being crazy enough to share my sense of humor! Thanks for sharing your life with our team, and with the youth of our church! And I'm excited to see where God is going to take you!!


9 Comments:

Blogger Anthony Plett said...

Bath time cow is awesome. I also like pollution cow.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Thank you...I aim to please!!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Dana L Penner said...

Sandra,
seeing those pictures of you and cheylas and cows make me smile. It reminds me of having some really great coffee chats with you during my CBC days. Thanks for being a great person to listen/talk to/with. You're awesome!
And I think the face mask brings out the blue in your eyes... keep it.

Love
D

3:14 PM  
Blogger kathleen marie said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad that Cheyla got to spend so much time in such a great place with such a great girl.
I WILL come before you leave. It's my goal.....

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great times! love all the cows, looks like you two had a great time, glad we could meet her, that's cheyla. keep up the fun spirit!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Cheyla said...

Thanks for the ode...I love the cow parade. Could anything be better than that? I too will miss our crazy mentoring times and chats. Dang, I could use one right now! Too bad its not Tuesday :P I'm honored to be on your blog though...too many good times this year! I'll never forget 'em :)

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sandra,
It's nice to catch up a little on your life. Been thinking of you lately and missed you on our girl's night out! Misty gave us a little update on you, but it wasn't the same. I love the the laughter and caring interest you bring to those around you.
Blessings,
Cristina

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,
Check your blog every week to see what you are up to. Love 'em.
Jenny Ridgewood

8:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA! "That's me... pollution cow" THAT's awesome!
haha
You're such a cute little pollution cow.
I just want to take that mask and snap it on your face. You know, pull it back while it's around your ears and let it go!
That's how cute you are!

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home