Just another day in Mexico!!
Well, in keeping with experiencing all that Mexico has to offer, yesterday I was hit by a car while crossing the street!! That's right, I went out walking in the morning, and on my way home I was crossing at a light, keeping my eyes on the traffic in all possible directions (cuz that's what you have to do here in Mexico!). I was about halfway across the street when a car turned towards me (turning right on a red light). I had my eyes on him, and thought he saw me too. He went to miss a guy on a motorbike, who was also crossing, and suddenly I had this black sports car bearing down on me!
As he stepped on the gas I very quickly realized that he hadn't noticed me. So, I started screaming and running to get out of his way. At the last moment I put my right hand on the hood of his car and pushed myself forward to get out of the way. In the end the car clipped my right knee, I hit the ground and quickly crawled to the curb. The car eventually pulled over, as did another man on his motorbike. The biker checked over my leg, and as far as I could tell I had sprained my ankle and twisted my knee. So, I refused their offers to call the ambulance. Mostly I was sitting there in shock and pain, not really knowing what I should do in the moment, but just wanting to go home!!!
So, the biker offered me a ride home, which I accepted. I hopped on the bike, and immediately wondered if this was the best thing to do. Here I was, on a motorbike with a strange man, definitely not wearing helmuts, driving into oncoming traffic, and then up onto the sidewalk, after just being hit by a car!!
By the time I got home, the shock had worn off a little bit and I couldn't stop the tears. By the time I got to the entrance to the apartment I looked like a mess, and Luis (our maintenance man) freaked out!! I assured him that I was all right, but he was upset with me for not going to the hospital (as are most Mexicans when I tell them what happened). He then encouraged me to eat some bread so I wouldn't damage my stomache!!!
I'm sure the driver of that car was feeling pretty relieved!! I could have demanded that they take me to the hospital and pay for everything. It's also highly likely that the driver doesn't actually have insurance (many people drive around GDL without insurance). And if the accident had been more serious, he would have gone to jail until it was proven that I would live (the law here is "guilty until proven innocent").
Anyway, I'm very thankful that it wasn't worse, and I got off pretty easy. I'm limping around, and feeling quite sore today...but I'm not in a cast, or worse!! Here's a picture of me right after being hit by the car (the stress gave me a bloody nose!!). Thanks for those of you who continue to pray for my safety here in Mexico...I depend on those prayers!!

7 Comments:
That is a crazy story. Good call on the bread though. Damaging your stomach after that would be terrible.
ay-ay-ay. Cuidate, mi amor, cuidate. Thinking of you...
you should listen to your little bro. Bread is important ;)
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you're ok. This is a good reminder to me to keep praying for you!! And I agree with all the mexicans who think you should have gone to the hospital.
ahi sandra, me alegra sabes que estas bien, nada peor paso, Dios es muy lindo te protegio.
Un abrazo mi amiga y sigue recuperandote.
Ten cuidado
Mi cara parece a un tomate cuando pienso en el rosbif. ¿Cómo puedo conocer a los sapos aturdidos? Soy hasta ahora que usted encontró una hamaca.
Dang - As I was reading through the comments, I wanted to just put a whole bunch of jibberish, but I'm pretty sure Nate beat me to it.
Glad you are okay.
i'm so thankful that god is watching over you, and that you have such a wonderful sopport group out htere. glad you're o.k., or i'd have to come to mexico to doctor you back to health.
Post a Comment
<< Home