Saturday, May 05, 2007

There´s No Place Like Home!

So, after more than a year of living here in GDL, I finally made it home to Manitoba for a visit!! Jen and I went to a conference in Minneapolis on Short Term Missions, and since we were "in the neighborhood", I went home for a week of holidays. It was short, but very, very sweet!

I was pretty excited when I got to see a wee bit of snow in the church parking lot!





Although the scenery at home isn´t gorgeous this time of year, it was so nice to enjoy the spring weather by hanging out on the back deck with the family. And it was great to finally meet the infamous "Chelsea" (Anthony´s girlfriend) after hearing about her for so long!!

So...a key part of my visit home was ...shopping! Mission accomplished!! But, I also got a lot of family time into my short week. I spent 2 days in Winnipeg, staying at Melissa´s house. So, me, Mom, Anthony and Melissa went to "The Olive Garden" for supper (You don´t know HOW badly I wanted to write "us 4 girls"...oops, now I wrote it).

And of course I got in a few coffees at Tim Hortons...mmmm...Always got time for Tim Hortons
Mom and I went for a few walks...when I´ve been away from the Prairies and come back I´m always amazed at just how flat it is. I LOVE that you can see for miles...it feels so freeing!

When I was younger, my Dad used to pay me $30 to wash his truck (it took me almost 3 hours), but now I just do it because I love him. Awww!


I also got to spend some time with good friends! I was soooo excited that my friends Cassandra and Dale made it back from Kazakstan with their newly adopted baby girl, Jersey, in time for me to see them. What an incredible cutie!!!

And then we had a "Girls' Night"...country style! That's right...forget the facials and doing our nails...we hiked out into the woods and had a bonfire! We didn't, however, forget the chocolate!!! Mmm, banana boats!! It was so nice to be able to spend some time with very, very good friends (Jen, Sherry, Michelle and Cassandra).


Can't miss Jen...that's her there in the green jacket:)

I had a little sleepover with one of my favorite cousins...Michelle! And then we enjoyed some nice spring sunshine with Melissa, while Anthony played the big, bad hunter! Gotta hate those magpies!!


And then...off to Steinbach to visit the local 7-11 for slurpees!!!!!

And when in Steinbach...do as the Steinbachers do...that means that we "tailgated"...which basically means that we put Anthony's tailgate down and hung out in the "Sev" parking lot and watched people. Pretty cool!


And no trip home is complete without a little family camp-out. So, my parents hauled out their little camper and set it up beside the fire pit, and I got to enjoy a little camping on my last night home. I love camping!!

Sunday morning I shared a little in my home church, and then I said some final farewells to friends. This is me with one of my best childhood friends, Scott...awww...


And then "us 3 kids" did a final farewell photo shoot. It took a bit, but Mom finally got a couple of good ones!



My parents drove me to Minneapolis, since that's where I was flying out of. I enjoyed the roadtrip with them, and a relaxed time at the hotel. And then it was off to the airport, where we had one last coffee together. And I have to admit that I got a little choked up as I said good-bye. It's weird to leave and really not have a concrete idea of when I will see my family again. I'm so glad I was able to enjoy such a great, relaxed week with them...and I'm so thankful for the amazing family I have!!!

13 Comments:

Blogger Jerthom said...

Sandra...you were in Canada and you didn't look me up!!! I'm insulted!!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

I know, I know...very rude of me! Sorry, I had 1 short week...in Manitoba...but I SHOULD have looked you up!!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Paula Reyes said...

sandra!! me alegra que hayas tenido un lindo tiempo con la familia!! si nada mejor que estar en casa.

te quiero mucho y abrazos

6:48 AM  
Blogger melissaplett said...

Aww I LOVE the little blog. Made me giggle at the memories. Can't wait to see you again soon!! Maybe in Feb. you could take a mini trip to South Carolina? Little Black Dress is hopin' to 'hit it up' then.
XOXO

8:37 AM  
Blogger Anthony Plett said...

It was so great to see you Sandra. I can't believe it was a whole year since I last saw my sister. I was excited to be with you, although I am obviously trying to create some seperation between the girls and me at olive garden. I am a Man!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Ya...I had a good time with you guys at home. Melissa, Not sure about making it to South Carolina...but that's very exciting for Little Black Dress! And Anth...I love the Olive Garden picture for exactly that reason...trying so hard to separate yourself:) When do you go to BC?

4:16 PM  
Blogger melissaplett said...

I would like these photos. Can you please set them so we can enlarge and copy them... or just email them to me?
thanks!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Mom and Dad have a disc with all the pictures from yours, mine and their cameras. Can you just get them from them? Let me know!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

I won't whine about you not coming to BC to say hi while you were only a two day drive away! But I'm glad you had a good visit with your family and that you enjoyed some time at Timmy's. I was at Afterthougths with a friend this week, which of course made me miss you! It's been too long since we had an "Afterthoughts evening." It's great to see all the pictures and find out how you're doing. Then I feel llike you're not quite so far away. :o)

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so good to meet you well you were in Winnipeg!! Even though it was a quick meeting It truely was a pleasure!!!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Yeah! You made it to my blog Chelsea! Yes, it was a pleasure indeed:)

9:14 PM  
Blogger melissaplett said...

Oh such pleasures. Everything is so pleasurable that I'm pleasured to be a part of it!

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me two! get it? yes it was nice having you at home. did you get a chance to wear all your new outfits yet?

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home