Sunday, February 25, 2007

Mom and Dad come to Guadalajara

After almost a year of not seeing my parents, it was very exciting for me to be able to host them here at my place in Guadalajara!! I have missed them so much, and I've often thought of them as I've toured around and gotten myself settled here, and wished that I could show them around. And last week I had the chance. Since they were only here a week, we had to cram a lot into a very short time! I think we all feel like we need a vacation after their vacation here:)

Sorry, no pictures! I hope to be able to post them some other time. But here's a little "journal" of what we did.

Day 1: We walked around the neighborhood, to the mall, to our church...to show them the area I live in. In the evening they came with me to a Hadime reunion we had at our church with the youth from our program in January. It was fun for them to meet some of the youth I've gotten to know.

Day 2: We cleaned the church while Jen and her parents cleaned our apartment. After lunch Jen and I went to youth, and my parents walked to another mall...to see what a Mexican Walmart is like:) After youth we all went to watch a soccer game. It wasn't our favorite team (go Chivas!), but it was still a really good, Latin American experience!

Day 3: We went to church, and my parents got to meet all my church friends, and the people I work with. While we continued on with a church "membership meeting", my parents went to a "Antique Market" nearby that they set up on Sundays. That evening we enjoyed the traditional "Plett Sunday Pizza Night" together with the Schmidts.

Day 4: Tourist Day!!! I took my parents downtown to see a lot of the history and culture there. We ended up at the downtown market, which is immense...the largest covered market in Latin America. We also took a horse and buggy ride to see more of the city. And then we ended up at one of my favorite coffee shops...Chai. An exhausting but fun day!

Day 5: We had our usual Tuesday team meetings, and invited our parents to join us. After the meeting we had lunch together with the Godards. And then we took our parents to see another major Cathedral in another part of the city. Funny story...on our way back I missed my turn and got us a little bit lost. This other car pulled up beside me and asked where a certain street was and I told them I had no idea since I was lost...we all started laughing in both cars since we were all lost together...but they were very nice and helped me find my way out of there.

Day 6: We, together with the Schmidts, headed out of town to another town called Chapala. We stopped to pick up "cousin Jackie" (my 2nd cousin who I'd never met before, who's working at an orphanage in the area), and got a tour of the orphanage. In Chapala we stopped at another orphanage to visit some friends...and got a tour there as well. We finally ended up down by the lake where we had lunch and strolled around. It was a really beautiful day, and I think it confirmed for my Dad that he's definitely a country boy at heart!!! It was a relief for him to be out of the city!! That evening I finally took them for tacos...another Mexican must!

Day 7: Their last day:( We went to two nearby artesan towns, so they could see the different types of markets, and do some serious shopping. I don't even know how many hours we walked and walked and looked! But, it was very fun for me to do that with them. We went for a great meal, sitting on a beautiful patio!!

Day 8: I took them to the airport, and we enjoyed a nice Starbucks coffee together. I wasn't too sad since I'll get to see them again in April!!!! But next time I hope they'll get to stay longer:)

7 Comments:

Blogger melissaplett said...

YIKERS! That's one busy little week!! Well don't you worry sister. Soon I will be there and you can show ME around :-)

6:26 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

I'm glad to hear you had a good visit. What's in April, Are you going home or are they going back to Mexico?

11:53 AM  
Blogger Bid said...

It's pretty cool that your family comes down to visit you.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Anthony Plett said...

Sounds like you guys had a very fun week togethor. Glad you were able to have pizza night with mom and dad.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Christa- I'm going to a conference in Minneapolis, so, since I'm "in the neighborhood" I'm going home for 1 week to visit!!!!! By the way, I just received your Christmas letter and picture in the mail this week...thanks:)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

WoW! I guess if I want to sent you a birthday card I better get it in the mail soon! :)

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was an awsome week, I'm ready to come back, we have snow,snow oh! did I mention the snow. I'm not complaining this is man. winter & we love it, but seriously we had a great time!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home