HADIME (Making Disciples in Mexico)

We started with 3 days of orientation and training on what it means to be disciples of Jesus. We all stayed together at our church, and it proved to be a time of bonding, getting to know one another, and building up a team. Although I was exhausted, and struggling with a pretty severe cold, it proved to be a really great start to the program.

From Monday to Sunday then we spent in a variety of activities...mixing ministry opportunities with teaching times. On Monday we put on a program at an orphanage (for children whose parents are in prison). On Tuesday the team went to a civil hospital and spent time visiting the sick and dying. This was really tough, and very impacting. Some visited children dying from cancer. The guys had the opportunity to visit a man dying of AIDS. On Wednesday we went to Casa Huichol, which is basicially a haven for the Huichol people (one of the indigenous groups here in Mexico) who need hospital treatment but have no one to care for them. We spent time sorting clothing that had been donated to the home.
And on Thursday we set off for San Luis de la Paz, which is about 6 hours away to work with a different Indigenous group called the Chichimecas. It's in the desert, and the weather was very, very cold (once again...no indoor heating!). And this proved to be a culture shock for everyone, which was a very good experience. These people live in very poor conditions...most of us had no running water, bathrooms without doors, and in my case we slept right on the tile floor!
But, it was also an amazing experience as we met with fellow Christians within this indigenous community, to encourage them, and share together. On Saturday we spent a good part of the day at a school, doing crafts with a Christian message, cultural lessons, playing lots of soccer, and putting on skits. And at the end of the day we handed out Samaritans Purse gift boxes. What an amazing opportunity to be on this side and actually see the looks on the faces of these children as they received their gifts. For those of you who participate in making these boxes...keep it up:) And for those who don't...well, I think you know what I'm trying to say!!!
On Saturday we started the trek back to Guadalajara, and had an adventure of a different kind! We came through this very mountainous area, and came down into the city of Guanajuato where we had planned to stop and do a little sightseeing. Trever was driving the van in front, and I was driving our car behind him. As we got into the city I noticed that my brakes felt a bit soft. But the next opportunity I had to test them out they were completely gone!!!! So, I swerved to miss the van, clipping the side of the van with my mirror and hearing a loud crunching sound! Then I had to deal with oncoming traffic! And I swiped the back end of a taxi, chipping a bit of paint! The whole time I was yelling "No Frenos" (No Brakes) and honking like a madwoman! Meanwhile David (Colombian missionaries son) who was in the passenger seat yanked on the Emergency Brake while I put the car into neutral. Nothing!!! So David pointed to the opposite curb where there was some space for me to try and hit it.
As I hit the curb my tire blew up, and I plowed into the produce that some guys were preparing to take to market. When I finally came to a stop I couldn't stop shaking, but mostly I couldn't believe what had just happened!!!! God was so extremely merciful, and no one was injured (except for one bag of lettuce), and the damage to all vehicles was really minimal. Of course we had to deal with some typical Mexican bureacracy...the traffic cop who gave me a ticket, but wouldn't explain the reason...just that I'd had an accident. The taxi driver who wanted way too much for the paint scratch and his time! And waiting for the insurance agent to show up.
It was an experience I will never forget! And I never want to relive!! But, one of the amazing things is that one of the guys on this trip is a "Brake Specialist". It's what he does. So, no sooner had I hit the curb than he was under the car, checking things out, tasting the brake fluid, etc. Once the brakes had time to cool down, he assured us that it was safe to drive. So, I got back behind the wheel (I was always taught that if you fall off, you got to back back up and try again!), and drove for the next couple of hours. And the youth in my car decided to stay...but this time they put their seatbelts on:)
So, our program ended on Sunday...and I thank God for the group we had, and for all the experiences he brought us through. And on Wednesday Jen and I head to Peru for 2 1/2 weeks to help out with a different discipleship program there. Please pray for me next Friday as I have a day to teach...in Spanish!!! And pray for both of us that we will have the strength and energy to keep going...and that God would really use us while we are there. Thanks so much!

7 Comments:
Mom told me about the brake loss experience. I'm glad to hear that you're ok, but want to be the first to point out how pumped I am that you plowed into a fresh produce stand. It just sounds so classic "runaway car/mexico driving" scenario. I thought produce stands were only there for movie sets, apparently not. Good work sister.
Maybe this has to do with growing up on the island, but whenever I see a garbage bag filled with "green-leafed vegetation" I automatically associated it with Pot. I hope the harvest is bountiful this year :)
wow! The whole thing sounds freaky, you sound like you did some quick thinking & decision making,glad to hear that all is well.
Hey Sandra,
Its been so long since I checked your blog, it was great to catch up today! We actually started a blog to, so you can check it out to see pictures of Carrie and soon our new little princess! (springerfam.blogspot.com) Yes, its another girl and she is due to be delivered by c-section on February 20. It is hard to believe that finally we are having a second! We will continue to pray for you and all that God is doing through you in Mexico. Any plans for a trip north? If we ever make it to Mexico, we will definately come and see you!
love,
Maxine
Again I have a question for you... why was someone taking photos of you praying? Shouldn't they have BEEN praying? Perhaps they 'need' the prayer... hmm... words to ponder...
That's Jen...she's evil like that:)
hmmm... if that's the case... I'm not sure about coming down there for this whole "missions" thing...
Post a Comment
<< Home