This Week's Adventures!
Last Sunday was the National Futbol Finals here in Mexico, between Guadalajara's team "Chivas" (Goats) and Toluca's team "Diablos" (Devils). So, we watched the last 1/2 hour with our youth group, after our church service. It was a very exciting finale, and the Chivas won! We live just a couple of blocks away from "Minerva" which is a major traffic circle that they tend to shut down for events like this. They had the game playing on a big screen, stages set up for concerts, and a LOT of people out to celebrate!

The celebrations began around 3pm and carried on until Midnight. These people LOVE their futbol!! So, Cheyla and I walked over to check things out. As we walked we were often pointed at and called everything from French, to German, to Dutch, to Gringa, to Guera!!! At one point these guys started a chant, "Gringa, Gringa, Gringa..." just for us!
My favorite part was when we passed this group of guys with their drums who were chanting and dancing around. Suddenly they were following us. I pulled Cheyla with me and stepped aside, hoping they would pass by. But, no! They circled us and started this chant for us to start dancing. So, there wasn't much left but for us to show them that white girls really can dance!!

It was a lot of fun to get caught up in the excitement...but it was definitely brutal trying to drive anywhere on this day. Everyone was driving around, honking, shouting, chanting, flags flying, and doors hanging open!!!
On Thursday night we went to this little cafe/bistro downtown near the city center. A friend of ours had a photography showing, and there was some live music. It was such great atmosphere and a wonderful reminder of how artsy Guadalajara really is!
On Friday we went to watch one of our youth play soccer. It's amazing how well some of those high-schoolers can play! And then we had Kenia and Cheyla over to bake Christmas cookies!!!

We also ordered pizza and watched "Bride and Prejudice". Such an awesome movie, for those of you who haven't seen it!! It was a great girls' night. And I'm so glad I got to do some Christmas baking.
We got up semi-early on Saturday morning to head to another town called Mazamitla. This is up a little higher and therefore known for it's "cold" weather. But, they have a tonne of cabins and different camping-style resorts. We are hoping to put on a week-long English camp next summer, and so we went to check it out for ideas. It was 1 1/2 hour drive to get there. But the scenery was gorgeous, and some of these cabins were quite amazing.

When we got home from our little excursion, we decided to decorate our Christmas cookies while we waited for our friend Yahaira to come over and hang out.

And on Sunday (yesterday) after church we had our Matthew Team Christmas party. We all brought appetizers and had a buffet of so much food! We sat around eating and talking, exchanged Christmas presents, had a little prayer time, and just generally enjoyed being together as a team. It really reminded me of what Christmas is about, and helped put me in the "Christmas Spirit".

As Christmas approaches I can't help but get a little more nostalgic about family and traditions, and it's sinking in a little more each day that I won't be at home for this holiday. But rather than getting sad about it, I choose to be thankful for a family that I love to spend time with. For a family who supports me and encourages me in what I'm doing. And for a family who has instilled in me such wonderful values!
And I guess if I can't be home for Christmas, the next best thing is to spend it with my brother and sister-in-law, niece and nephew in CANCUN!!! That's right! In just 2 days I will head over there to spend 2 weeks with them, hanging out with part of my family, spending time relaxing on some of the most beautiful beaches (from what I hear). I can't wait!
So, in case I'm not able to write for a while...I wish all of you a most wonderful Christmas! May each of you spend it with someone you love. And may God abundantly bless you as you enter into a new year.

8 Comments:
I hate this new Beta thing. I just "posted" but in my logging on. I lost it. Arg. Anyway - I'm glad taht one of us gets to go to Cancun. Last night I was checking out last minute deals (I'm feeling slightly spontaneous...who knows I might still end up there), but there were flights for $98 leaving this morning. The taxes were twice that...but still... Too bad today was my last day. Despite not going home for Christmas - Sandra I hope Christmas is absolutely amazing for you. Blessings.
Are you serious that there is a movie called "Bride and Prejudice?" That sounds like a real must-see.
Yep..."Bride and Prejudice" is the Bollywood version of "Pride and Prejudice". It's awesome!
Oh, you were serious with that then? I was going to also make fun of you for the spelling thing... oh, well, I guess THAT happened... hmmm... oh! Who are those 2 boys on the first picture? Randoms? You should set me up with a 'gig' at that venue you were at as well. Annnnd... 2 weeks?! You get to go for TWO WEEKS?! You're SOOOo lucky! arg.
Sandra - I was thinking of mastering the "snake dance" from that movie. Maybe you should as well, then we could do a duo-dance. I think that people would really love it!!!!
I love the circleing you and chanting part. That sounds awesome. Hope you're having a great time in Cancun.
wow they really do like partying! Looks like fun, you're quite the domestic, baking, decorating cookies, good for you.
She's "quite the domestic" what?
Post a Comment
<< Home