Monday, November 27, 2006

Wearing Socks

Now, I realize that this blog may not be well received...especially for those of you in Abbotsford with your freakishly large dumping of snow at this point in the year...and the rest of you experiencing cold weather. However, I must remind you to keep context in mind!

As most of you know, I'm living in Mexico, and up until a week ago I can literally count on one hand, in the 8 months that I've been here, how many times I've worn socks and shoes. It's been flip-flops all the way! This past week however, has turned very cold! I've had to pull out the socks and shoes, and even sweaters!!!!


Don't get me wrong...I don't mind the opportunity for a change in wardrobe! I think the weird part is just how cold our apartment is...especially morning and evening. The afternoon still gets fairly nice, and we actually have to go outside to warm up!! And the thing is that homes down here don't really have indoor heating systems, so the only way to warm up is to pile on blankets and sweaters.

One of our youth told me the other day that it actually got down to -7 in one part of our state (Jalisco) last week, and they had to declare a state of emergency. It doesn't generally get this cold, and a few people actually died because there's not really anything to do to warm up!

I now understand why they actually sell toques and scarves here. Although I still don't understand the use of wearing a scarf with a tank top! For style purposes, I suppose?

7 Comments:

Blogger melissaplett said...

OH MY FREEKIN' GOODNESS!!! PEOPLE DIED DOWN THERE CAUSE OF THE COLD?!

THAT is CRAZY!!!

Wow.

Ok. Enjoy you socks while we enjoy the snow! It took me 1.5hours to get to work this morning b/c of the storm. But whatever, poor ol' you has to wear socks! I can't compare to that!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Anthony Plett said...

It's good to see you're getting a healthy dose of reality down there.

What I want to know is why it took Melissa so long to get to work. I certainly hope it's because people in the city drive way to slow.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Ya! I was kinda wondering the same thing...I mean, couldn't you walk there faster than that?

But what I really want to know is...why are there so many guitars?

4:56 PM  
Blogger Anthony Plett said...

Well the one thing I'm pretty certain of Sandra, is that Melissa would have been coming in from the country. But still, an hour and a half better be because of city drivers not the highways.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Hahaha! That makes so much more sense!!!! I couldn't IMAGINE why it took her 1.5 hours from her place to work. So funny!!!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Anthony Plett said...

Ya she's crazy hey Sandra. You are definetly my favorite sister.

4:38 PM  
Blogger melissaplett said...

You really needed Anth to spell it out for you? Wow. Awesome. The only way it would take that long to get there from my house is if I had to shovel myself out of my front door. Gosh. It's an 8 min. walk to work!!!
Anth... you're a jerk. (Sandra, look at what he wrote on MY blog)

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home