Christmas in Isla Mujeres
Here's the classic "I just got off the plane and I'm sooo excited to see you" shot...

I had warned my niece and nephew that when I saw them I was going to squeeze them so hard they wouldn't be able to breath...!
I spent the majority of my 2 weeks in Isla Mujeres on the beach. It was wonderful...the sand was so white, and the water was so clear and blue. Here are just a few pictures.







We also had a pretty great view from the patio on the top floor of our hotel.


One day we rented a golf cart and toured the Island. It's only 7.5 miles long (or something like that).

We checked out the Turtle Farm...

And a different beach which is apparently good for snorkelling. The opposite end of the Island is absolutely gorgeous with rockier cliffs, crashing waves, and sparkling blue water.

One day we had a girls' shopping trip in Cancun.

Of course we also celebrated Christmas!! We combined Christmas traditions since we represented 2 different families. First of all, we made do with what we had and set up a "Christmas tree" so we could sleep by it.
Since the 24th was a Sunday, we all went out for a pizza supper (Plett Family Tradition). And while eating pizza, enjoyed some fine Mariachi music!
Then Aryn opened the "family gift" from Santa on Christmas Eve, which was the traditional Christmas movie...this year, "The Elf". Everyone got really tired, so Dylan and I were the only ones to stay up and watch. And then on Christmas morning Tanya went out to buy us all crepes for breakfast (her tradition), while the rest of us stayed in pyjamas (our tradition). And then the gift opening began. It was mostly small gifts this year since we were on this vacation, but it was still an impressive stack!

Christmas day was rainy, so we spent the day mostly inside eating, playing "Mexican Monopoly", hanging out...and since we were all far from family, taking turns calling home.

So, while Anthony and Melissa represent the Plett Vespa Gang in the 'Peg, Irene and I decided to represent in Isla Mujeres. We rented mopeds and toured the Island. Neither of us had ever ridden before, but once we got over it...we were fearsome!

I also spent New Year's Eve in Isla with the family. One of the traditions here in Mexico for New Years is to wear red underwear...so, when in Rome...

In the evening (after our tradition Pizza Supper) we went to the main square where the party was. They had a stage set up, concert going, and lots of food being sold! The real party though seemed to be in the streets. As we wandered around we saw families dancing and eating together. Children throwing confetti and shouting "Happy New Year". And piñatas being smashed.

Once again...everyone else went to bed before Dylan and I...so we partied until the wee hours! It probably didn't help that he drank 3 cups of super-potent coffee and was completely buzzed!!

This time with the family was so wonderful, and I'm sure I could post a gazillion more pictures! But, I think I'll stop there. I said good-bye to Jason, Irene, Dylan and Aryn on Jan. 3 and headed back to Guadalajara.

Along with the happiness and fun that this Christmas really was about, there was also some sadness. We received news that my Grandma died on Dec. 23rd, after a significant amount of struggle. In so many ways this is happy news as her pain has now ended, and she has gone to join other loved ones...including my Grandpa who died before I was even born! My Grandma (Jessie Plett) was an amazing woman, from whom I've learned so much...especially how to love, to laugh and enjoy life, and to work hard and constantly seek ways to serve others.
We weren't able to go home and be together with the family for the funeral, but I am thankful that I was able to say good-bye before I left to come here to Mexico.
I wish you all a very wonderful New Year ahead!!

6 Comments:
Great post Sandra, it looks like you guys had a really great Christmas break. Dylan does look really wired new years eve. I'm glad you got to spend this Christmas with some of the family.
Hey there Sandra!
Wow, it sure looks like you had a rough Christmas!! :) I can't say that I have even got a tan at Christmas time! I'm glad you had a good time with your family. After seeing your beautiful pictures, I think I'll have to start planning our next family vacation to come down and see you.
Blessings,
Christa
wow! those pictures do look like you had some quality time with the family. Dylan & Aryn look so mature already. Those mopeds look like fun. Yes, your Grand-ma was an amazing person.
Hey! Looks wonderful! So glad that you got to be with family for Christmas. Miss you. Maybe I'll tag along with Christa's family vacation :)
wowo, parece que tuviste un buen tiempo me alegra muchisimo por ti, el descanzo fue bueno ya que vienen tantas actividades ahora en este año.
Un abrazo y estare orando por ustedes y todas las cosas es una lastima no poder ir a peru y verles alla.
te quiero muchisimo y bendiciones
Umm... I REALLY like your hat. And, um, was wondering if you were, you know, trying to be like me or something?
(please say yes. it'd make me feel really cool)
Post a Comment
<< Home